Are you a blogger or reader who wants to share your story with the GenYFinanceGuy community?
Would you like to guest post???
I’m hoping you’ll say YES, because my audience and I want to get to know you.
The “Chasing FIRE” interview series is an important tool we use to realize our mission to humanize finance. Keep it real, keep it personal, and keep it all about you. Be authentic and as transparent as possible. Tell us stories, because they are way more interesting than one-word answers.
The ideal length of your guest post is 1,500 to 3,000 words (1,000 words is the minimum).
Chasing FIRE Interview Series
Need some inspiration before you start? Check out this post (were all fighting for the FREEDOM to live our lives by our design). I’m starting to tell my audience and my guests that there is an alternative meaning to the FIRE acronym – Financial Independence / Recreational Employment. Some may want to retire early, others just want to be in a position where work is optional, while others want to pursue their calling regardless of the monetary compensation.
Here are the questions:
OVERVIEW – Who are you?
- Tell us about yourself: Who are you and what do you do? What is your story? How are you fighting for your Freedom? Where did you start, where in the journey are you, and where do you ultimately want to end up? (Demographics are great: age, marital status, family, career, education.)
- What is your favorite Quote or Mantra that you live by?
- Where in the world are you from?
- What is your routine like? Are you a morning or a night person? What time do you wake up and go to sleep?
FINANCIAL – It’s all about the Benjamins!
- How do you earn your living (industry, position, annual income, where you started and how you’ve climbed the ladder, etc)?
- Do you have any side hustles? (how much do you make at those?)
- What percentage of your after-tax income do you save?
- What is your current net worth? What is your net worth comprised of (i.e., Real Estate, Stocks, Bonds, etc)? And what platforms do you use (i.e., TD Ameritrade for stocks, Rich Uncles for Real Estate, etc.)? Why?
- When it comes to building wealth, do you spend more time figuring out how to cut expenses or increase income? Why?
- What is your definition of Financial Freedom? And what is your FREEDOM number($)?
- What is the best financial decision you have ever made?
RECREATION – What do you do for fun?
- How many hours a week do you watch TV? Favorite show(s)?
- What is your beverage of choice?
- What movie – if any – have you seen more than once?
- Do you like to travel? Describe your last vacation. Describe your dream vacation.
- What other activities do you enjoy?
MORE – Tell us your secrets!
- What are you really good at? What is your “Super Power?”
- What about you do most people not know?
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
- What is the worst financial decision you have ever made?
- What was your biggest surprise, financially or otherwise?
- Who is your hero?
- Who and/or what has influenced you most in life, positively or negatively?
- What does “living life by design” look like to you, in terms of a typical day, week, month, year…? What, if anything, is holding you back from living life by design?
PARTING ADVICE & WHERE WE CAN FIND YOU
- What advice would you give to a reader who is 25-35? How about 45-55?
- What book do you most frequently recommend? Why?
- What is your favorite online financial resource, paid or free (i.e., Personal Capital, YNAB, Robinhood, etc.)? How about offline resources?
- What are the top five personal finance blogs (or podcasts) you read regularly? Why those in particular?
- Where can we find you online? If you’re a blogger, this is the perfect place to plug to your blog and tell us why it’s great 🙂
It would be nice to get answers to all of the questions, but you don’t have to answer them all if you don’t want to. Be creative and tell us stories. GYFG readers want to get to know you.
Submit your completed interview and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Following on from this concept…Do you have an idea for a topic-based post you could write on that you think would be a good GYFG fit?
After we get to know you we can talk about guest post ideas you may have. Please submit your answers to the Guest Posting questions above and then we can talk about topic-based posts.
I know I speak for all the GYFG readers in saying that we can’t wait to hear from you!
– Gen Y Finance Guy